Quote of the Month

Quote of the Month; The Commodore of the club leads by example, usually he leads round the race track as well-Joe King.

Friday, October 21, 2011

OMR review

In disagreeing with the outcome of the last OMR review I in NO way do
wish to denigrate the work done by the current OMR committee members,
quite the reverse in fact. I want it on the record that their efforts
are appreciated and needed and I fully support Mikes statements
expressed in his email and I am happy to publicly be put on the
record with that support.


I am at the same time grateful to MYCQ for the willingness to conduct
a further review as I had decided not to participate in multihull
racing going forward. This would have been a pity as I have been
constructing an all carbon foiling F32 with the primary goals of
racing her, but I also saw a fundamental injustice in the
implementation of the new crew weight rule that made my 120kg body
weight a handicap too far.


But even without the all singing all dancing carbon thing, right now,
I struggle to attract crew to my current F25A (toooooo slowwwww!) and
the new rule would have made my handicap even worse when I was forced
to be under crewed. F25s seems to be noncompetitive normally anyway
so making my rating worse by not getting enough crew to meet the
minimum number only exasperated the situation.


There are not too many sports that us older mid life spread heavier
type of guys can compete in on a level playing field so I was somewhat
disappointing that it looked like the sport of choice was being put
out of range for me so you see your willingness to conduct a review is
MOST welcome.


On another note, In one of the emails that was circulated it
suggested that there is a mathematical error in that formula in the
implementation of the rotating mast mathematics. Is that correct?
I had decided to use a fixed mast as it seems to me that the handicap
imposed under OMR for a rotating rig is just not worth the OMR cost
imposed.


Should I review that choice? What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment